Friday, October 8, 2010

Week 5: Camera Raw



1. Farm; 10.8.2010; 2:15 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; f/8.0; 1/400;
Sony H50; Tripod used

This picture was taken in the rain. So, I had a friend shield the lens of the camera while I took the shot. To edit this photo, I opened it in Camera Raw. In Camera Raw, I first created a highlight using the brush tool over parts of the sky. Then, I added a blue color to the highlighted area. I also increased the contrast, brightness, exposure, saturation, clarity, and sharpness of the highlighted parts. Next, I increased the fill lights, blacks, contrast, clarity, vibrance, and saturation in the basic palette to the whole image. I also wanted the ground to look more yellow instead of brown, so I played with the orange and yellow color sliders in HSL grayscale to bring out the yellow color. I also increased the temperature slider to the yellow side. Then, I changed the tone curve to medium contrast. Finally, I added detail to the sharpening palette and a slight vignette to the image with the fx palette.

Challenge




1. Road; 10.8.2010; 2:12 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; f/8.0; 1/500;
Sony H50; Tripod used

This image was also taken in the rain. After taking the shot, I opened the image in Camera Raw. First, I increased the recovery and the fill shadows. Then, I increased the clarity and vibrancy. Next, I opened the image as a smart object in Photoshop by clicking the text in the bottom middle of the window in Camera Raw. In Photoshop, I copied the layer and added more blue to the picture through the color balance palette. With the color balance palette, I selected midtones and moved the first slider toward the cyan side. Finally, I masked out this effect on everything but the sky.


5 comments:

  1. You chose a really great day to shoot landscapes. You had amazing clouds! I really love the enhancements you added. Both your photos look so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great shots. I loved that your edits weren't real drastic, but all together they add so much to your photo! Looks great. Also, way to go on the challenge! Awesome editing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your Road shot edit. It turned out really great. The colors are very vibrant and I just like the angle the image was taken. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. The grass in your road shot edit looks amazing! Your clouds in the other one are also awesome. They look realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors look so much better after you did the edits. It also helped define the sky.

    ReplyDelete