Friday, September 24, 2010

Week 3: Flexible Edits

   
1. Lily Pads; 9.24.2010; 1:26 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; f/4.5; 1/500; 
Sony DSC-H7; Brightening and sizing in Photoshop 

I took this picture in the campus gardens. When taking the picture, I focused in on the lily pads, so the water and shadow were dark. To lighten the water in the second picture, I used the Adjustment Layers in Photoshop. Under the Adjustment Layer icon, I selected levels. Then, in the blending mode palette, I chose screen. Doing this once didn't lighten the water enough. So, I copied the layer to double the effect. This completely washed out the lily pads, but made the water lighter. So, I masked the lily pads on each layer to give back the color from the original picture. 


1. John Deere; 9.24.2010; 1:25 p.m.; Rexburg, ID; f/4.0; 1/160; 
Sony DSC-H7; Filter effect and sizing in Photoshop

This picture was also taken on campus in the gardens. To make the John Deere vehicle look like a  painting, I converted the first picture into a smart object in Photoshop. Then, I went to filters and added the palette knife effect to the image. I wanted the John Deere car to stand out, so I masked the filter on the trees and surrounding grass.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting what you did with the lilly pads. With the John Deer you could have also used poster edges. It gives a good feel. I like that you masked out everything except the tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you made the tractor look like a panting and how you left the rest of picture normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you did with the lily pads. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job getting rid of the shadow on the Lilly pads!

    ReplyDelete